Growing your own cannabis plants is both enjoyable and rewarding. Sure, it is not an easy task to complete, but if done successfully you can be left with lots of organic homegrown dank. There are many ways to grow weed and many decisions to be had. First and foremost is deciding whether you would like to start your grow from seeds or clones.
Growing from seeds is perhaps the most traditional method and experienced growers like them because they have the ability to be cross-bred into new and unique hybrid strains.
You may have found a seed or two in your weed stash and have been tempted to plant it. However, this is not the best way to go. Investing in quality cannabis seeds from the start can potentially save you money and stress in the long-run.
When you buy seeds from a respected seed bank, you are paying for guaranteed quality. Established seed banks have teams of dedicated breeders and growers constantly working to improve their genetics. That means, after germinating your seeds, you can rest assured that your plants will grow strong and healthy and should reward you with good yields of top-shelf bud
However, understanding the cannabis seed market can be challenging because cannabis is federally illegal and therefore the amount of regulation on seed banks is limited.
Is it legal to buy cannabis seeds?
Cannabis seeds are considered a cannabis product just like flower, edibles, and concentrates. Their legality depends on which state you live in. People living in states with adult-use legalization can buy, produce, and sell seeds within their own state, but seeds cannot cross state lines.
This makes it hard if not impossible for a seed bank to run in the U.S. the way they do in the U.K., the Netherlands, Spain, or Canada. Seed banks can sell their seeds for “souvenir purposes,” but it is illegal to bring seeds into the US and Customs will seize any cannabis seeds they find in packages or on a person.
Seed banks understand this and go through any means to make sure that their seeds get through customs inspections.
Cannabis seeds by genetics
Seeds carry genetic information from two parent plants and can express many different combinations of traits: some from the mother, some from the father, and some traits from both.
Cannabis can be either male or female (also called “dioecious”) but only females produce the buds we all know and love. For reproduction, males have pollen sacs and pollinate females, causing female flowers to produce seeds.
The types of seeds available for purchase include:
- Regular seeds: If you buy a packet of regular seeds, they will come with a mix of males and females. A lot of cultivators prefer to grow these because they have not been backcrossed (inbred) as much as feminized or autoflower seeds. You will need to sex out the seeds once their reproductive organs show during the flowering phase and afterward discard the males because they do not produce buds and will pollinate females, resulting in seeded flowers.
- Feminized seeds: Only female cannabis plants produce the cannabinoid-rich flowers that deliver the flavors and psychoactive effects consumers look for. The feminization process for seeds is accomplished by essentially breeding two female-dominant plants together. This is possible because weed plants are not always strictly male or female, each plant has the ability to produce flowers of either sex under the right conditions. So, to eliminate the male chromosomes, breeders take a female plant and put it under stress by interrupting its light cycle or using other techniques until it produces male flowers, which they use to fertilize another female plant. After a few rounds of this, the male part of the plant will essentially be gone, and all plants grown from these seeds will be female.
- Autoflower seeds: Autoflower plants change from the vegetative to flowering state with age, not the changing of their light cycle. They have a short grow-to-harvest time and can be ready to harvest in as little as 7-12 weeks from when you put the seeds in the ground. The downside is that they are less potent and yield smaller amounts, but autoflower seeds are great for people who want to grow cannabis but do not want to spend a lot of time doing it.
Cannabis seeds by strain
- Sativa seeds: They produce thin and tall plants and take a longer time to attain maturity. Their yield is more than the indica-seeds plants, but the THC percentage is quite low. The sativa strain is highly energetic and produces stimulating effects.
- Indica seeds: These produce short, bushy plants that take less time to mature and have higher THC content than Sativa kinds. The yields from indica species are smaller but offer relaxing and soothing properties.
- Hybrid seeds: A hybrid is a result of combining both indica and sativa cannabis strains. Pro growers consider hybrid seeds as top performers as they hold both of the species’ best traits in a single growth.
Top 7 recommended seed banks
As the demand for cannabis seed banks grows, so too does the number of people who look to take advantage of them. There are thousands of online cannabis seed companies on the internet that will sell you bogus seeds. Because you cannot tell the quality of a seed just by its looks, it is imperative to only buy seeds from reputable banks.
The following is a list of the top recommended seed banks based upon reviews and ratings, all available online for convenient and discreet purchasing.
Unlike other online seed banks, Seedsman has expertise in selling the best cannabis seeds that originated from different breeders. It is a famous and trustworthy seed supplier worldwide and has emerged as a top competitor in its field.
- Accepts different payment methods, including cryptocurrency, which is the safest way of conducting a monetary transaction without being surveilled.
- Delivers its products worldwide.
- Provides discreet packaging, considering the protection requirements for the seeds.
- The company offers free shipping to European residents. It has a superb loyalty program for its customers, and it also provides a 20 percent discount depending on the order size.
- The company’s website is easy to navigate, with all the necessary descriptions of each product to make a confident choice.
- It does not allow its customers to switch to another payment method after selecting one.
- Seedsman takes no responsibility in case of packaging interception, irrespective of the reason behind it.
MSNL is one of the top online seed banks. In 1999, it was the first company to enter the seeds bank market. Today, it is known to offer superior quality seeds that are purely from its growth supply.
- Offers commercial growers a wholesale purchase option.
- Top-of-the-line genetics.
- It offers a stealth delivery option.
- Delivers all the seeds with properly labeled names to avoid any confusion.
- Award-winning cannabis strains at affordable prices.
- Value packs are a great choice for new weed growers.
- Various payment options for customers.
- If seeds fail to germinate, MSNL does not provide a replacement.
- The company sells just its own developed strains, so it has a restricted variety of strains available.
Started by a man named Robert Bregman who has been growing weed for over 25 years. ILGM is a grassroots company whose mission statement is all about helping the fellow grower. ILGM certainly has the ratings and reviews that suggest its worthiness of being a go-to seed bank.
- Guarantees seed germination, if seeds do not sprout, they replace them with new ones.
- Guarantees delivery, and in case of any issues, it ships them again for free.
- Free shipping to Canada, Western Europe, and the U.S.
- Seeds come in discreet packaging.
- ILGM’s VIP program gives access to exceptional quality strains, huge discounts, and other perks.
- Accepts Bitcoin and other popular payment methods.
- 24/7 customer support is available.
- It provides a forum on its website to connect with fellow growers.
- ILGM does not offer a vast collection of strains compared to its competitors.
- Shipping charges for Australia and New Zealand are $25 unless the order price exceeds $150.
- It charges an additional fee of $25 for shipment tracking.
Crop King is another shining name among seed banks. It takes pride in offering its customers the best quality seeds with an extensive range. They aim to provide their customers with cannabis seeds that have contemporary cannabis genetics.
- Crop King guarantees its customers 80 percent seed germination, or else it rectifies the issue.
- Offers a massive variety of seeds to choose from, including autoflowering seeds and feminized seeds.
- Seeds are especially useful for medicinal cannabis users due to their high CBD content.
- The customer service is prompt and helpful.
- The company’s team is highly experienced and makes careful genetic selections.
- Crop King’s strain selection is limited to other seed banks.
- The seeds are quite expensive.
- Customer support needs improvement.
- The website has a confusing layout.
Are you looking to grow cannabis for the first time? To help you make the right decision, Sensi Seeds curated a special selection of cannabis seeds for beginners, all of which are resistant to the most common mistakes. These seeds are also suitable for experienced growers who are trying out a new grow space or cannabis cultivation method.
- It is a highly established venture with a history of outstanding quality seed distribution for recreational and medicinal purposes.
- It offers discreet shipping and delivers seeds with full confidentiality.
- A considerable variety of options are available both for beginners and experienced cultivators.
- It provides exceptional customer service.
- The company’s shipping time is often longer due to the vigilant delivery processes.
- The seeds are costly compared to other seed banks.
Established in 2012, The Vault has risen to become the best-known and trusted cannabis seed shop in the world. The Vault is passionate about delivering fanatical customer service and supplying only the best quality seeds safely to your door.
- It has an enormous variety of seeds and has thousands of strains.
- The store has connections with more than 100 breeders.
- It provides free guaranteed delivery.
- It offers to ship to its customers anywhere in the world.
- They are 100 percent discreet, secure, safe, and have a satisfaction guarantee.
- It has top-of-the-line customer service.
- It does not provide any germination information to customers since marijuana seeds germination is illegal in the UK.
QCS has a website that was specially designed for people with prior experience in cannabis seed growing. Their website has been up-and-running for 15 years or more now, however, the fact is that QCS has been supplying all of Canada (and even the rest of the world) with some pretty high-quality seeds for almost 20 years.
- Credit card charges are under a non-obvious company name.
- 20 percent Bitcoin payment discount.
- More than 15 years of seed bank experience.
- Stealth shipping.
- A variety of autoflower, regular, CBD, feminized, and mixed seeds.
- US customers can pay in USD.
- 3.8 percent credit card payment fee.
- Minimum $70 order amount.
- Only one $10 standard shipping option
- The website is a bit less sophisticated than some others