Most of us weed smokers have found ourselves in this situation: We just got some good flower and plan to share it with some friends at their house. Everyone there has a lighter but somehow there are not any papers or pipes to smoke out of!
In emergency, you can always resort to buying papers and rolling yourself a joint. But not everyone has joint-rolling expertise. In situations like these, it is time to get creative and rig up your own bong.
You would be surprised how easy it can be done. All you need is a little bit of know-how and some common household supplies.
Components of a bong
A bong has a few composite parts that are mostly universal to all bongs. In order to be able to make your own bong you will need to understand its crucial components.
- Tube: The tube of the bong is perhaps the most identifiable part; it is the chamber wherein the weed smoke resides before you breathe it in. The smoke that is held here has been cooled and filtered by the water in the bowl, making it easy to intake the smoke whenever you are ready. This is the one component that does not really ever change from its straight, cylindrical appearance.
- Bowl: The bowl of the bong is where you hold your marijuana as you are using it. The weed sits there, held in the internal divot, allowing you to light it. The bowl is then connected to the stem, which allows the smoke to pass down into the tube.
- Stem: The stem of the Bong is the small, clear tube that connects the bowl and the tube. Many bongs actually have special stems that allow them to serve as more than just the simple holding device that they appear. On some bongs, the stem is the part that holds the water, freeing up the bong from having to have a wider, flared bottom in the base. Additionally, by removing the stem from its hole, the next key component of the bong is exposed.
- Carburetor: Also known as a “carb” or “choke”, this component is not necessarily included on all bongs, but important to learn because there is an essential use for it. The carb is a small hole on the glass pipe. It is located directly next to the bowl on the side of the bong. If there is a carb, be sure to cover the carb hole using your thumb or finger while inhaling the first half of your puff. Then release your finger and allow air to flow through the carb hole while you inhale the second half of your hit.
- Base: The base is the bottom part of the bong that contains the water used to cool your weed smoke. The design of this part of the bong varies between different products, but they are most generally shaped like a beaker, with a flared bottom that makes it easier to stand it up while using it.
Plastic water bottle bong
For many weed smokers, especially ones back before weed became legalized in some areas and therefore normalized, using a water bottle for a bong was quiet common.
Not that anyone would prefer to use one (smoking with plastics and foil is not advised to do consistently because of potential health risks), but we all found ourselves at one point without a proper glass bong and looked around our house for items to smoke out of. Most homes have empty plastic water bottles around. Alas, the water bottle bong is probably the most used non-traditional bong.
To make a bong out of an empty water bottle you will need:
- Clean plastic bottle
- Pen or other sharp object to make small holes with
- Small tube (such as an empty highlighter marker or sharpie pen)
- Tin foil
Now that you gathered your supplies, here are the steps to creating your water bottle bong:
- First, take your empty plastic bottle and fill it a quarter of the way full with water. The larger the plastic bottle, the more smoke you will get per hit.
- Using your pen or another sharp object, pierce a small rounded hole just below the neck of the bottle. This will be the carb hole.
- Using your sharp object again, pierce another small hole lower down, just above the waterline. This will be where your downstem goes.
- To make your downstem, merely take a tube such as a highlighter with the center removed.
- Using a small amount of foil, wrap it around the wide end of the tube/highlighter and then press down gently into the center to make a bowl.
- Take your pin to create around 5-6 small holes in the foil. This will help the smoke get through.
- Once you are happy with your downstem, gently push it, smallest end first, into the second hole that you made. You should be able to submerge the end of the downstem into the water.
- Pack your bowl and light it up.
While a water bottle may be the most common homemade bong, smoking out of plastics and foil can be concerning to some, and with good reason. So if you want a more natural and healthy way of smoking with a homemade bong then try an apple.
Apple bongs are almost as iconic as the water bottle. Mostly due to the common nature of having apples at hand as well as the comedic effect of smoking out of a fruit. An apple might be the simplest DIY bong because it needs less parts and less steps for production.
To make a bong out of an apple you will need:
- Poking tool (small knife, screwdriver, or chop stick, etc.)
The steps to creating an apple bong include:
- Start by removing the apple stem by twisting and pulling.
- Use your poking tool to make a hole in the top of the apple, going down through the core. Go in from the point where the stem was removed, and be careful to stop around halfway through the apple.
- Now using your poking tool again, poke a second hole, this time going in from the side of the apple. This will be your mouthpiece.
- You want to make sure that your mouthpiece hole connects to the first hole you made. This will ensure the two channels connect, allowing smoke to travel to you.
- Use your poking tool to create a small carb. To do this, either make a hole opposite of your mouthpiece hole or just push the poker through the mouth hole until it goes through your apple completely. You can decide which way is easier depending on the size of your poking tool.
- Load the bowl at the top and light up.
Gravity bongs are simple to construct and require items that you probably already have laying around the house. Usually constructed using a two-liter soda bottle, a gravity bong uses air pressure and water to draw smoke out of the device.
To make a gravity bong you will need:
- Large plastic bottle (two-liter pop bottle is perfect)
- A larger container or bucket (has to be bigger than the first plastic bottle)
- Aluminum foil
Steps to making your gravity bong include:
- Take your plastic bottle and cut off the bottom 2 inches.
- Take the foil and shape it so it can wrap around the mouthpiece of the plastic bottle. Push the foil in with your finger to shape the bowl.
- Use your pin to make around five or six small holes into the foil through which smoke can travel. Now, take the foil bowl off and leave it for later.
- Fill the larger container with enough water to where you can submerge the entire plastic bottle.
- Take your plastic bottle and submerge it open side down into the water until the waterline reaches the neck.
- Load the bowl with your weed. As you light the weed, slowly lift the plastic bottle and it will begin to fill with smoke. Make sure the foil bowl is secure while lifting the bottle so it does not blow off. Continue lifting slowly until the bottle is almost out of the water. Do not lift the bottle all the way out or you will lose the smoke! Remove the foil bowl and inhale the smoke.