As concentrate consumption becomes more popular, the idea of having a dab rig as a part of your paraphernalia is more tenable than ever. However, if you have never used one before, utilizing a dab rig without fully comprehending and knowing how it works can be perplexing and even hazardous.
Dabs are very strong and fast-acting since concentrates are manufactured by extracting terpenes and cannabinoids from plant material. To vaporize concentrates, often known as “dabbing,” you utilize a dab rig, which is effectively a bong or bubbler.
What is a dab rig?
Dab rigs are filtering devices for consuming concentrates. In comparison to a bong or a dry pipe, dab rigs are built exclusively for concentrates and give superior flavor and vapor uniformity.
Dab rigs have grown in popularity in recent years as concentrates have been more widely available in the United States. Water is used in dab rigs to cool the vapor created when a dab of concentrates is placed on a hot dab nail. A user rests their lips on the mouthpiece and inhales while the dab nail functions as a melting pot.
The vapor is drawn into the dab rig, down the downstem, and into the water chamber by this suction. The water chamber functions as a radiator, cooling the heated vapor to a temperature that your lungs can comfortably inhale.
Dab rigs utilize diffusion that drives the vapor through a series of microscopic, submerged holes in the downstem, resulting in a smooth-filtered hit. These little bubbles allow more vapor to come into direct contact with the water, resulting in a faster cooling period.
What are the components of a dab rig?
A dab rig consists of a set of instruments and accessories. The following are typical components of a dab rig:
- Rig: A glass water pipe is the cornerstone of every dab setup. Rigs include dab rigs as well as bongs. A rig must attach to a nail or bowl in addition to having a water chamber.
- Nail: A heating element made of glass, titanium, ceramic, or quartz that is mounted to a dab rig. Nails may be heated to severe temperatures of up to 800 degrees Fahrenheit. When you acquire a dab rig, certain nails, sometimes known as “bangers,” are included or affixed. Quartz nails, when used properly, give the finest dab experience since they do not fracture under thermal pressure like glass and provide greater flavor for most concentrates.
- Electronic nail: An electric current-powered heating device that may be used instead of traditional nails. A controller box drives the flow of electricity to a coil, which warms the nail, in electronic nails. Butane-free heating with precise temperature control is available with these nails, however, they are often more expensive than ordinary nails.
- Dabber: Apply the concentrate to the nail with this instrument. They can be made of metal, glass, or ceramic, and come in a variety of forms, including scoop, ballpoint, needlepoint, paddle, and spoon. You may prefer certain shapes depending on the consistency and texture of the concentrate you are dabbing.
- Carb cap: A cap with a tiny hole covers the top of the nail with a glass, quartz, ceramic, or titanium cap. A carb cap reduces the pressure inside the nail or banger, functioning as an oven to trap heat and lower the vaporization temperature.
- Torch: Creme brulee mini-torches are often utilized, but you will need to stock up on butane for these. Any regular butane torch will also work.
How to dose weed concentrates
Measuring a dab is not as simple as it sounds. Various THC concentrates exist in different forms and potency, so knowing the strength of your concentrate before dabbing it is a good idea. It is usually best to start modest and gradually increase the amount until you feel comfortable.
A little dosage is about the size of a crumb. It may not appear to be much, but that is a lot of THC headed directly into your brain. To people used to flower, dabbing might seem a lot more strong at first, but as your tolerance changes, the effects become less striking.
Benefits of doing dabs
How you consume cannabis is all a matter of personal choice. However, there are certain advantages to dabbing that individuals love. Three major advantages of smoking dabs include:
- Better tasting: There are no chemicals produced by a dab rig. As a result, it does not affect the concentrate. Because of its cleanliness, the vapor produced during dabbing cannabis tastes better, which makes it more pleasurable for many individuals.
- Stronger potency: The concentrates you use for dabbing are far more powerful than flower. The THC content in bud is typically 10-20 percent, whereas concentrates are 50-80 percent.
- Fewer carcinogens: A dab rig creates fewer carcinogens since it does not emit smoke or add other components. Furthermore, extracts include far less plant material, resulting in a higher concentration of cannabinoids and less resin inhaled. It is crucial to emphasize, however, that this is only true provided everything is done correctly. You can still combust the concentrate if you dab at too high a temperature.
How to do a dab
Although some minor differences are depending on the rig you choose, the core principles of dabbing remain the same. It is a straightforward procedure. The following is a step-by-step guide on using a dab rig.
Step 1: Secure the nail
Because the nail will become extremely hot, it must be firmly secured to the rig, or else it could fall off and become a fire hazard. This could also lead to a potentially serious injury. A burnt finger will undoubtedly ruin your dab rig experience.
Step 2: Heat the nail
Now is the moment to torch up the nail. If you have an electronic nail, you will not need to do this. When certain dab rigs heat up, they turn crimson. It might take up to 30 seconds to reach the desired temperature.
Step 3: Let the nail temperature drop
After sufficiently torching the nail, let it cool down for a few moments. Wait for about 10 seconds. Remember that nails are meant to trap heat, so they will remain extremely hot.
Step 4: Apply the concentrate
Take your dabber tool and scoop up a small piece of the concentrate, then drop it onto the nail, and start inhaling. The dab will rapidly become vapor, so keep moving it around to ensure that all of the dab is evaporated.
Step 5: Cover it up
Place a carb cap on the nail if one is available to better vaporize the dab while inhaling. To guarantee you get the most out of your experience, the carb cap will function as an oven, trapping all of the heat in the nail. Lift the carb cap when you are ready to inhale all the remaining vapor out of the rig.
Cleaning your dab rig
Beyond having your rig look nice, learning how to clean it correctly has other advantages. Stagnant dab rig water, like water in a puddle, may be a breeding ground for germs and fungi of many types.
In polluted rig water, yeasts and other microbes can thrive. You do not want to inhale or consume any of these compounds by accident.
Step 1: Torch your nail
Heating a nail or banger with a torch until reclaim or leftover carbon burns entirely off is one of the simplest methods to clean it. If the accumulation is not too bad, torching a nail should suffice. You may also use an alcohol-soaked cotton swab to wipe the surface of your nail.
Step 2: Soak the nail
If torching your nail does not remove all carbon or reclaim accumulation, store it in a sealable container or plastic bag and soak it in isopropyl alcohol for a few minutes. If you are using a sealable bag, add some salt and shake it around.
Step 3: Pour out the water
Pour the old water into a sink or drain before you start cleaning your equipment. If you use your rig frequently, you should replace the water daily. This will help prevent reclaim accumulation and retain the vapor’s taste and cleanliness.
Step 4: Add alcohol
Fill your rig’s base with 99 percent isopropyl alcohol, sometimes known as rubbing alcohol. If a thorough cleaning is required, start by covering the bottom of the base with coarse salt.
Step 5: Shake
Shake your rig to loosen and dissolve reclaim accumulation by covering the holes with your hands or standard-size plugs or caps.
Step 6: Rinse
Rinse your rig and nail well with hot water once you have removed the reclaim. While rinsing, lightly shake the rig to remove any leftover residue.